In an effort to solidify my battle against temptation I have been doing a 12 step program in Celebrate Recovery with my church. This has been extremely freeing as I have been able to turn my struggles over to God. However, I still struggle with feelings of guilt and embarassment from my past.
The Serenity Prayer of Celebrate Recovery has been a great tool for me to focus my mindset each morning and get the day started on the right path.
The Serenity Prayer of CR (Celebrate Recovery)
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is;
not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Here is what this prayer means to me:
1) Accept the things I cannot change the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference – The past is the past. I can continue to dwell on my mistakes or let them go and choose to focus on where I am heading – not where I have been. You can only drive so long while looking in the rearview mirror before you crash. God has a plan for our lives and if we have truly repented and accepted him as our savior we can rejoice in his grace and focus truly on where we are going.
2) Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time – I can control whether I give into my sexual temptations for the next minute or hour and that is what I focus on. I am living in the present and not worrying about my past or the challenges that tomorrow holds. I want to win my battle day by day and thank God daily for helping me find success.
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
3) Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace – Had it not been for my struggles with sexual purity I would not have come to this point to grow even stronger in my faith. It is during our times of struggle that we grow closer to God. It makes us acutely aware that we are truly dependent on his strength and not our own. This struggle has also lead to greater introspective in my life and personality showing me I have other deffects that need attention including, pride, ego, self-worth, and selfishness.
4) Trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to your will – This one is a tough one. It means I do not have ultimate control. This means that I must surrender to God’s will for my life. Ultimately I know that he has great plans, but my desire to be the god of my own life runs in direct opposition to allowing him to have full access. If I want to experience omplete victory, I must surrender my greeds and desires and follow his will.
5) So that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next. – Happiness if fleeting, but I want to find joy. I can be joyful in all circumstances. I realize that this is a fallen world and that there is going to be pain and turmoil. I find joy in knowing this as it shows that true happiness, joy and sucess only comes from trusting in God.
Granted this is all easier said than done. However, the more I read this prayer and the more I pray, the more I realize just how true this is. Everything is a mindset, and if we are truly going to be victorious it all starts with the way we think. We must be taking in good thoughts and positive direction each day to combat the filth and negativity that is found in this world.
It’s a Mindset – we are what we think. What we think directly affects our actions. By programing our mind with positive thoughts and images of achieving victory against our struggles first thing in the morning, we are giving ourselves that much more chance of success!
I am putting together a personal morning routine to set the tone for my day and give me the greatest chance for success. I will share my routine once I have developed it and give updates about how it is making an impact on my life.